Friday Oct. 21 – Judicial Independence and LGBT Rights Free CLE
- The Hon. Marsha K. Ternus, former Chief Justice, Iowa Supreme Court, ousted after the court’s decision in Varnum v. Brien , which held unconstitutional a state statute limiting marriage rights to a union between a man and a woman.
- Camilla Taylor, Lambda Law attorney who successfully litigated Varnum through the Iowa courts
- Daniel Tokaji, Ohio State Law Professor and expert on election law and issues
- C|MLAW Professor Susan Becker, introductory remarks
- C|M|LAW Professor Matthew Green, panel moderator
2.5 hours of free CLE credit is offered. More information.
After the symposium, videos of the speakers can be found as part of the Sexual Orientation and the Law Research Guide. Symposium handouts can also be found here, as well as an entire page of resources concerning judicial independence and LGBT rights, including articles, books and web sites. The guide also contains materials from C|M|LAW’s 2009 LGBT Rights Symposium, and many other resources on LGBT and the law.
(photo is Judge Marsha Ternus)